The physical body is made up of five elements namely – Air, Water, Fire, Earth and Aakash (ether – the tiny intercellular spaces in the human body).Imbalance of these elements disrupts the immunity system and causes disease.
Deficiencies in any of these elements can be made up by connecting one part of the body with another in a particular manner through Mudras.
Five Fingers for Five Elements
Thumb – Fire
Index – Air
Middle – Aakash
Ring – Earth
Little – Water
- Gyan Mudra Method
- Effective in cases of mental ailment, imparts happiness, the intellect develops, memory is sharpened.
- Join the tips of the index finger and thumb and keep the other 3 fingers stretched and joined.
- Relief in diseases and pains relating to the ear.
Press the middle finger on the base of the thumb and keep the thumb on middle finger. Keep the other three fingers straight.
- Apaan Mudra Method
- Helps in clearing the body by elimination of waste matter from the mouth, eyes, ears, nose etc. Helps when urine is obstructed, reduces constipation.
Join the tip of the thumb with the tip of middle and ring finger, keeping the other finger straight.
- Prana Mudra Method
Helps in pumping the life force into your body. Beneficial for all types of diseases. Imparts special power to the eyes.
- Join the tip of the thumb with tip of little and ring finger. Keeping other two fingers straight.
- Vayu Mudra Method
Helps in diseases like arthritis, trembling in Parkinson’s disease. Better results obtained if practices after Prana mudra.
- Press the index finger on the base of thumb and keep the thumb on the index finger. Let the other fingers be straight.
- Prithvi Mudra Method
- Makes body sturdy. One experiences happiness.
- Join the tip of the thumb and ring finger.
- Varun Mudra Method
- Improves the deteriorated quality of blood due to shortage of water & gives freshness to the body.
- Join the tip of the thumb and little finger.
- Surya Mudra Method
- Reduces weight of your body.
- Put the tip of ring finger at the base of thumb, with thumb gently pressing on it.
- Ling Mudra Method
- Produces heat in the body and helps in curing cold and cough.
- Interlock the fingers of both hands together. Keeping the left thumb up (encircled by right thumb and index finger) i.e. left thumb should be vertically straight and right thumb around it.
When to do?
- Can be practiced at all times while sitting, lying, standing, walking or even talking.
- For good results should be practiced for 24 minutes continuously. Can be practiced for 4-5 minutes also at one time.
- If a mudra cannot be made in both hands, you may do it in one hand only