11 Unknown Facts about Lord Balaji
1. At the entrance of the main door, to the right side, a stick which was used by Ananthaalvar to hit Venkateshwara Swamy is present. When this stick was used to hit the ‘small boy’ Venkateshwara, his chin was hurt. Since then, the practice and tradition of applying Sandalwood paste on Swamy’s chin began.
2. There is real hair on the main idol of Venkateshwara Swamy. They say that this hair never tangles and is silky smooth always.
3. There is a village, approximately 23 Kms from the temple in Tirumala. The entry to this village is only for the villagers. The people are said to be living with strict practices and tradition. It is from this village, that all the flowers, milk, ghee, butter are sourced for the God.
4. Venkateshwara Swamy appears to be standing in the middle of the garba gudi. Actually, Swamy stands at the right side corner of the garba gudi. This can be noticed from standing outside.
5. Every day a new & sacred dhoti (bottom) and saree (top) are used to decorate Swamy. Blessing newly married Couples who perform a spl seva are given this.
6. All the flowers used in the garba gudi are in no condition brought out. There is a waterfall behind Swamy’s behind. All flowers are thrown in this water fall.
7. No matter how many times, the back of Swamy is dried, it remains wet always. If you carefully keep your ear and listen against Swamy’s back, sound of an ocean is heard.
8. Lakshmi Devi is on the heart of Swamy. On Thursdays, during Nija Roopa Darshanam, Swamy is decorated with white wood paste. When this decoration is taken out, the imprint on Lakshmi Devi remains. This imprint is sold by the temple authorities.
9. When someone dies how one does not see behind and lights the fire, similarly, the flowers removed from Swamy are thrown at the back of Swamy. It is said that the pujaris do not look at the back of the Swamy that entire day. All these flowers can be seen coming out at a place called Verpedu, 20 kms from Tirupati (on way to Kalahaasti).
10. The lights (deepa) lighted in front of the Swamy is said to be lit since thousands of years. And no one exactly knows since when these lights are lit.
11. In 1800, the temple was said to be closed for 12 years. One King is said to have punished 12 people (who committed some crime) by killing them and hanging them on the walls of the temple. They say that, it was at this time that Vimana Venkateshwara Swamy appeared.